Wednesday, December 8, 2010

AZ - Music For Scattered Brains (1995)


So, well the next thing I was going to post was another freaky album released 1995, Music For Scattered Brains by AZ of Scissor Girls (Chicago no-wave) fame. I also bought this CD a few years on ebay when I couldn't find it to download. It just so turns out that this person beat me to the punch on posting this (by a year and a half, ha), anyways, I like this album so I figured I'd provide the above link. Its an interesting listen especially if you like Scissor Girls and Bride of No No and want to check out something way-different that AZ / Azita has done. If you aren't familiar with her work, well, maintaining an air of mystery around her projects has been an important element anyway. In the zine-y insert of the CD there's a page where it says "boingy theme music." Thats a pretty good description- lots of analogue fried electronics, like some broken moogs and sequencers or something letting out some happy bleeps and spaced-out secret messages (in ether). The album starts with some circus music, definitely has a 'playful' tone. I wouldn't really call it "abrasive" or "non musical" like the other blog does, but I do like the "ducks farting" description. To me some of it sounds sort of ancient, or like it could have been recorded centuries ago, but maybe thats just me, I've been into the idea of some ancient or pre-modern electronic music since I read about the Baghdad Battery. More on that later perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment